Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cabrillo

There is a monument, on a high point on the coast at San Diego, to Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo. I'd never heard of him but I've been educated - there's a very good information center on the point as well. He was the first European to set foot on the west coast of the USA having built and captained the ship that sailed up the coast from Mexico in 1542.

There is an added advantage to having a large reserve on the coast. Rare plants and animals are protected as is a coastal habitat that is endangered.



We drove north to Los Angeles from San Diego along sections of the old coastal road rather than the freeway. If it wasn't for a naval reserve there would be continuous coastal communities between the two cities but I have to say that the beach and the beach towns are delightful. We were there on a weekend and the weather was very pleasant so it seemed that everyone was out and about - lots of people on the beaches, in cafes, playing on grassed areas, riding bikes. It must be a good place to live I think.






2 comments:

  1. Looks like Carlsbad and Oceanside in those last three pictures. I've lived in both of these cities and a few others. I live inland from Oceanside now and miss the beach. We do spend Christmas in Del Mar, tho, so we get our coastal fix. You sure can't beat the weather but I'd take Canada any day for it's lack of gun culture and it's socialized medicine and several other things. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left a comment and I said I'd take Canada any day. I would also love Australia from everything I've heard about it. It sounds like a wonderful country! I hope to visit someday soon. Barbara

    ReplyDelete